In the third of our Glorious Goodwood 2013 big race previews, we’ve cast our eye over the 128 Stewards Cup entrants and have selected a 20/1 (21.00) chance with Coral. The five year old (pictured) finished second at the meeting last year and looks like a great antepost value bet. Read on for full details…
We’ve taken a look over recent winners of the Stewards Cup to see what sort of profile the average winner has. We can now use this information to thin out the current 128 strong field a bit and find a good value bet. Here are the important Stewards Cup trends:
Key Stewards Cup Trends
- All of the last 12 Stewards Cup winners had scored over 6f
- 11 of the last 12 winners had won a Class 3 race (or better)
- 11 of the last 12 winners had at least placed in a race work £20k or more
These trends suggest that our Stewards Cup selection should have a certain amount of ability, as well as proven form over the distance.
- 11 of the last 12 Stewards Cup winners ran in a Class 2 (or better) race last time out
- 10 of the last 12 winners had raced in the past 25 days
- 9 of the last 12 winners ran in that season’s Wokingham
Based on these Stewards Cup trends, we should be looking for a race sharp horse and avoiding those attempting to step up in class. It’s interesting to note that most recent winners also took part in the Wokingham at Royal Ascot.
- 11 of the last 12 winners of the Stewards Cup were officially rated 91 or better
- 11 of the last 12 winners carried home 8st 9lbs or more
Again, a certain level of ability is required of a Stewards Cup winner, as illustrated by the above trends.
- 10 of the last 12 Stewards Cup winners were aged 4 or 5
The vast majority of Stewards Cup winners fall into a narrow age range, so it makes sense to focus on these individuals.
Having applied all of the above trends to the 2013 Stewards Cup field, there is one stand out candidate: the David O’Meara trained Louis The Pious.
The five year old ended a long losing streak last time out in Class 2 company, but it’s not like he didn’t perform well during that spell. Notable results include runner up finishes in York’s Sprint Trophy and Goodwood’s Stewards Sprint (both 2012) as well as a place in the Great St Wilfred. I believe he has it in him to win a race of this nature and with form at Glorious Goodwood already in the book, I reckon the 20/1 (21.00) currently on offer with Coral is a great value bet.
The 2013 Stewards Cup
Saturday August 3rd, 15:50
Louis The Pious (Each-Way) @ 20/1 (21.00) with Coral
Why not join in the horse racing and sports betting chat on Twitter @betpal?