The 2012 Sun Chariot Stakes takes place on Saturday at 15:00. The race is a Group 1 for fillies and mares and in recent years has been dominated by Sahpresa (pictured), the only horse to win the race three times. This year will see a new queen crowned, but who will it be? We have an interesting fancy that’s currently priced at 10/1 (11.00) with Paddy Power…
Let’s take a look at recent winners of the Sun Chariot Stakes and try and pick out some important trends, to give us an idea of what to look for ahead of the 2012 renewal.
- All of the last 12 Sun Chariot Stakes winners had won a race over either 7f or 1m
- All of the last 12 winners had won a Listed race (or better)
From these trends, we can see that a potential Sun Chariot Stakes winner must possess a touch of class, as well as being proven over the trip.
- All of the last 12 Sun Chariot Stakes winners had won a race that season
- 11 of the last 12 had finished in the front three last time out
- 11 of the last 12 winners had their last race no more than 40 days prior to the Sun Chariot Stakes
Based on these trends, our Sun Chariot Stakes selection needs to arrive at Newmarket in good form and certainly not after a lengthy lay-off.
- 8 of the last 12 Sun Chariot winners were aged 3
- 10 of the last 12 winners were younger than 5
It’s clear from these trends that the younger horses have a better record in the Sun Chariot Stakes, in particular the three year olds. It’s also worth pointing out that Sahpresa accounts for three of the four successes for the older horses.
The one filly that meets all of the above trends is Aidan O’Brien’s three year old, Up. A Group 3 winner on Soft/Heavy ground and a Group 2 winner on good, she’s clearly versatile with regards the going and she will arrive at Newmarket off the back of two recent successes, indicating that she’s in good heart.
Currently rated a 10/1 (11.00) chance with Paddy Power, Up could offer us a bit of value against the favourites Elusive Kate and Beauty Parlour, who both fall down on account of the timing of their last run.
The 2012 Sun Chariot Stakes
Saturday 29th September, 15:00
Up @ 10/1 (11.00) with Paddy Power
Be sure to follow us on Twitter @betpal_ in order to receive all of our free horse racing tips!